Frequently, visitors planning to have gorilla tours Rwanda are inquisitive about where they are done! Is Rwanda known for gorillas? Yes, there are gorillas in Rwanda, and gorilla tours in Rwanda can only be done in:
Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park
Located in the far northwest of Rwanda, Volcanoes National Park is home to over 12 fully habituated gorilla families. And, a few others are solely habituated for scientific research. Most of the gorilla families in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park are amazing, they have at least one silverback with several females as well as youngsters.
Gorilla groups in Rwanda Volcanoes National Park include: Susa, Igisha, Karisimbi, Sabyinyo, Amahoro, Agashya, Kwitonda, Umubano, Hirwa, Bwenge, Ugyenda and Muhoza.
Note that, gorilla family groups have many silverback gorillas however, a dominant silverback heads the group! During your Rwanda gorilla tour in Volcanoes National Park Rwanda, all the treks start at 7 am at Kinigi (park headquarters). You’ll be allocated a gorilla family to trek according to your level of fitness! On your safari Rwanda gorillas in Volcanoes National Park, expect to spot some of the 200 colorful bird species recorded here. Also, on a lucky day, Golden Monkeys can be encountered.
Rules and Regulations of Trekking with Rwanda Gorillas
These rules aid to secure your life during your adventure. Furthermore, these guidelines help to protect the health of these endangered primates as well as humans who visit them. Here are the rules to follow during your gorilla tour Rwanda:
Guidelines Before Departing into the Jungle
- The age limit for trekking gorillas in Rwanda is 15 years. This is so because, young people are prone to childhood diseases such as Mumps, and Measles. These are so deadly to gorillas. This applies to Uganda and Virunga national park Congo.
- Strictly, only 8 people are allowed to visit a gorilla family per day. This helps to minimize stress for these shy giants.
- Please, don’t take part in a gorilla trek if you have flu, cold, or any other infectious disease. These massive primates can easily catch human communicable diseases!
- You must wash your hands before embarking on the gorilla trek. This should be applied also in Congo Virunga National Park and as well as in Uganda’s Mgahinga and Bwindi national parks.
Rules to Follow While With Gorillas:
- You should maintain maximum silence while on the gorilla trek. But, this shouldn’t limit you from inquiring from the ranger.
- On your gorilla trek, littering in the park is not allowed. This is against eco-tourism principles.
- You should always keep a 7-10m distance from these great apes.
- It’s illegal to touch gorillas. They can mistake your touch. Remember, there are wild animals however much there’re habituated!
- More so, smoking, eating, and drinking around these amazing giants is illegal! This applies in Uganda and Congo Virunga national park.
- You’re advised to remain in a group on your gorilla trek expeditions (primate safaris).
- If you want to sneeze in the presence of gorillas, you should turn away or cover your face. Infectious diseases like cough and flu are lethal to these great giants.
- Always follow the instructions of the ranger while on the gorilla trek. It applies even in Congo Virunga national park as well as Uganda Mgahinga and Bwindi national parks.
- On a gorilla trek, You’re only limited to one magical hour on encountering these great apes.
- Using flash cameras for photography is strictly not allowed. It stresses these shy giants.
- If you feel like easing yourself on a gorilla trek, you should go off the track. After, cover the wastes 30cm deep in the soil.
Packing List for A Gorilla Trip in Rwanda
If intending to have a gorilla tour Rwanda, you’re advised to be well set for a memorable experience. Below is a packing list for Rwanda’s gorilla holiday safari:
- A camera: This is a must-have as you plan to track with gorillas in Rwanda. It helps you take amazing photos for remembrance.
- Rain jacket: Safeguards you in case rain gets you on a gorilla trek or gorilla tours Rwanda.
- Solid hiking boots: This helps you on a gorilla trek as you hike through the hilly fairly challenging slopes.
- Insect repellents: During your gorilla safaris in Rwanda, these protect you from any possibility of biting insects such as Mosquitoes.
- Gaiters: On your gorilla tour in Rwanda, these protect you in case of safari ants along the trail.
- Long trousers and long-sleeved shirts: Help to protect your skin from stinging nettle as well as biting insects.
- Gardening gloves: Help to safeguard your hands as you hold tree branches as well as other vegetation during the hike.
- Sunscreens, sunglasses, and a sun hat: These protect you from sunshine especially, in dry months.
- A daypack: On your primate safaris in Rwanda, this helps you keep all your essentials like a camera, toiletries, and packed lunch safe. It’s ideal even on your Rwanda wildlife safaris in Akagera National Park.
- Packed lunch and normally energy-giving snacks are ideal on a gorilla trek.
- Enough drinking water: This is so vital during this fairly strenuous adventure.
Note that, the above rules cut across Uganda Bwindi national park and Congo Virunga National Park.
Hotels (Gorilla Safari Lodges) in Rwanda
During your gorilla tour in Rwanda, there is a range of accommodation classes for you to choose from!
And among these include luxury, mid range, and budget options.
Popular Luxury Lodges to Use
- Bisate Lodge Volcanoes
- Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel
- Virunga Lodge
- Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
Best Mid Range Lodges to Use
- Da Vinci Gorilla Lodge
- La Palme Hotel
- Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge
- Garden Place Hotel
Recommended Budget Lodges to Use
- Villa Gorilla
- Hotel Muhabura
- Kinigi Guesthouse
Other Amazing Types of Safaris in Rwanda
For a charming gorilla Rwanda tour, you’re advised to undertake other thrilling safari experiences! This allows you fully explore Rwanda Africa. Among these include:
- Wildlife Safaris in Rwanda’s Akagera National Park. Undertaking game-viewing safaris in Rwanda on top of your gorilla tours allows you to explore Rwanda rich wildlife. On your Rwanda wildlife safaris, expect to encounter the Big Five and other classic games of Africa which are known to be spotted on Tanzania or Kenya safaris. On your wildlife safaris in Akagera National Park, you’ll look out for Lions, Leopards, Buffalos, Elephants, Rhinos, Hippos, and several Antelope species, etc. Normally, during your wildlife safaris and tours in Akagera National Park, most game animals are spotted by undertaking game drives.
- Bird Watching Safaris in Rwanda. For bird lovers, endeavor to supplement birding watching on your Mountain gorilla in Rwanda vacation. In East Africa, the land of a thousand hills is one of the best sites to spot the Albertine Rift endemic birds. Nyungwe forest national park offers the best experience for birdwatching. Rwanda’s Nyungwe Forest boasts over 322 bird species counting about 29 Albertine endemics like Rwenzori Turaco, and Handsome Francolin. Apart from Nyungwe forest national park, other amazing sites for birding tours in Rwanda Africa include Akagera National Park as well as Volcanoes National Park. Water birds as well as other wildlife can be found around Lake Kivu shoes or white sand beaches.
- Chimpanzee Tours in Rwanda Nyungwe Forest National Park. Chimpanzee tours in Nyunwge Forest are among the notable adventures worth undertaking on top of your gorilla in Rwanda vacation. It gives you a captivating encounter with Chimpanzees in their wonderful environment. Chimpanzees are man’s closest cousins, sharing over 98-99% of DNA similar to that of man! During the chimp trek, you’ll meet amazing wildlife like the rare L’Hoest’s Monkeys. Note that, after Uganda’s Kibale National Park, Nyungwe Forest is another ideal site for primate safaris in East Africa. Kibale National Park offers the best Chimpanzee tours in East Africa as well as Africa.
More thrilling tours in Rwanda to undertake on top of Your Gorilla tour
- Cultural experiences in Rwanda Africa, for example, visiting Iby’iwachu cultural village for sensational traditional dances.
- Visit the genocide memorial sites such as Gisozi, Nyamata, Murambi, Ntarama, and Bisesero. A local private guide will explain to you the touching history of Rwanda’s genocide! Also, this private guide makes sure that you are safe on your tour.
- Visiting the grave of the renowned Dian Fossey. You can also decide to visit her Karisoke Research Center.
- Undertaking Kigali city tour.
- Relaxation on the white sand beaches of Lake Kivu. This Lake (Lake Kivu) white sand beaches is Rwanda’s biggest lake.
- Mountain hiking safaris in Rwanda Africa: for example, hiking Mount Karisimbi as well as Bisoke.
How Much is a Gorilla Safari in Rwanda?
How much does it cost to do gorilla trekking in Rwanda? Please note that there’s no fixed price for a gorilla safari in Rwanda as it’s determined by several factors. Below are the factors that determine the cost of a gorilla safari in Rwanda:
- Accommodation Class Your Wish to Use. The cost of gorilla trekking tours Rwanda is determined so much by the class of accommodation you opt to use. Using luxury accommodation raises your safari cost more than it would be when you decide to go budget.
- Safari Vehicle You Wish to Use on Your Safari. Furthermore, this also affects your gorilla vacation cost. For example, using a safari van is relatively cheaper than using a 4×4 safari land cruiser. This is because these two have different fuel consumption rates.
- Number of Days You’re to Spend on Your Gorilla Holiday. Generally, the more days on your gorilla, the higher the safari cost. This is so as this raises the safari expenses, for instance, accommodation and transport costs.
- Other Safari Activities to Undertake During Your Tour. Each activity you add to your gorilla tour in Rwanda raises your safari cost. Therefore, the more safari activities you undertake on your gorilla holiday, the higher the gorilla safari price. A few activities minimize your safari cost.
- Number of People on A Vacation. Generally, the cost of a gorilla vacation increases with the number of people undertaking a safari. This is because each person on a vacation calls for additional expenses such as accommodation.But, on the other hand, traveling as a group is cheaper. It allows sharing of expenses like accommodation and transport costs.
Top Rwanda Tour Operators
Although there’re many safari companies in Rwanda, getting a trustworthy gorilla tour operator isn’t easy! Thus, choosing an ideal tour operator offers you the best experience as you visit Rwanda.
You’re advised to check the company’s reviews on Tripadvisor!
Best Rwanda Gorilla Tour Packages
Note that, since Rwanda is just adjacent to Uganda, therefore, Rwanda Uganda tours are possible! Undertaking a Uganda Rwanda safari is a thrilling experience worth undertaking for a great experience.
Note that, you can top up a gorilla tour in Rwanda on your Kenya or Tanzania safaris! Remember, there’re no gorillas in Kenya or Tanzania!
Here are some of the best gorilla tours in Rwanda for you:
- 1 Day Gorilla Tour Rwanda Safari
- 2 Day Gorilla Tour Rwanda Safari in Volcanoes Park
- 3 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trek Safari & Golden Monkey Tracking
- 4 Days Rwanda Safari
- 5 Days Rwanda Wildlife Safari
- 6 Days Safari in Rwanda
- 7 Days Safari Rwanda Tour,
- 8 Days Safari in Rwanda
- 9 Days Rwanda Tour
- 11 Days Comprehensive Uganda Rwanda Vacation
- 1 2 Days Best Uganda Rwanda Trip
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
Conclusively, if you’re interested in encountering the endangered Mountain gorillas in their natural habitat in Africa, Rwanda is the best place to be. Rwanda gorilla tours (primate safaris) are done in the misty Volcanoes National Park, holding the highest population of gorillas in the Virunga ranges.
For a rewarding gorilla tour in Rwanda, you should undertake a wildlife tour, visit Dian Fossey tombs and also make a Kigali city tour. Among others, don’t miss visiting Rwanda genocide memorial centers also! Remember, you can top up this remarkable adventure on your safari tours in Kenya or Tanzania.
Book with us now an affordable gorilla tour in Rwanda for a remarkable experience! Please, endeavor to email our responsive team for any inquiry about your Rwanda Safari.